ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 21, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #676 of 1,046
OK, there's an idea: slot machines that gush pricey NOS tubes when you hit the jackpot.

(I'd work that machine like a gummint mule)
I can picture myself pulling that lever, in hopes of winning a fresh NOS pair of EL37 or KT66. . . :grin:

May 21, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #677 of 1,046
I can picture myself pulling that lever, in hopes of winning a fresh NOS pair of EL37 or KT66. . . :grin:

I'm slightly surprised you don't have a set of each with backups already on the way. :wink:

May 21, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #678 of 1,046
I'm slightly surprised you don't have a set of each with backups already on the way. :wink:
LOL!! I normally definitely would have, however I am trying my best to find affordable tubes that sound great at the moment. The Aegis is so damn good with my cheaper tubes, that I am in no rush to spend the big bucks just yet.

All that said, I am sure I will probably end up with multiples of both eventually. :wink:

May 21, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #679 of 1,046
LOL!! I normally definitely would have, however I am trying my best to find affordable tubes that sound great at the moment. The Aegis is so damn good with my cheaper tubes, that I am in no rush to spend the big bucks just yet.

All that said, I am sure I will probably end up with multiples of both eventually. :wink:
.... not to rush: your 'cheaper tubes' will become 'big bucks' tubes over time 😉.

May 21, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #680 of 1,046
.... not to rush: your 'cheaper tubes' will become 'big bucks' tubes over time 😉.

I tend to think like that, but it leads to a lot of quick spending. I'm trying to recalibrate my brain a bit. Tubes tend to lead to a scarcity mentality, which is why I have so many tubes now.

May 21, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #681 of 1,046
I tend to think like that, but it leads to a lot of quick spending. I'm trying to recalibrate my brain a bit. ☑️Tubes tend to lead to a scarcity mentality☑️ which is why I have so many tubes now.
☑️ ... when was a run on op-amps last reported ...? 🤔🤣

May 22, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #682 of 1,046
Finally rolled out the stock JJ input tubes for a pair of cheap Reflektor 6N9S 74', and now we are talking. :grin:

1000005749.jpg

I believe these are the same input tubes offered in the added bundle from TAD, and with what I am hearing they are worth the upgrade. They bring the bass, and open up the stage. I love how these cheap tubes are absolutely singing in the Aegis. This amp is just incredible in every way.

May 22, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #683 of 1,046
☑️ ... when was a run on op-amps last reported ...? 🤔🤣

Not sure on opamps, but I've absolutely seen a run on through-hole transistors and FETs when a lot of the SKUs were discontinued in favor of surface-mount only options. I probably have 30-40k transistors in my basement because of it (and no regrets).

The only tube run that I've seen come close to that was a few years ago (2021, I think) on new production tubes. Exports from Russia were cut off, the Shuguang factory had a fire and JJ tubes couldn't keep up with the influx of demand. This caused a panic in the guitar community (which consumes significantly more tubes than hi-fi does) and there was basically a COVID style toilet paper clearout of vacuum tubes. Folks were buying 3-4 times their normal amount out of fear that they wouldn't be able to keep their amps running and this sudden surge of demand made the problem significantly worse. Prices for basic import 12ax7s got a bit nutty for a while there. I didn't get TOO nuts, but I did make sure to have at least one backup set for every amp I have (which, of course, I haven't had to use).

May 22, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #684 of 1,046
Finally rolled out the stock JJ input tubes for a pair of cheap Reflektor 6N9S 74', and now we are talking. :grin:

1000005749.jpg

I believe these are the same input tubes offered in the added bundle from TAD, and with what I am hearing they are worth the upgrade. They bring the bass, and open up the stage. I love how these cheap tubes are absolutely singing in the Aegis. This amp is just incredible in every way.
Once you've had time to learn all the tubes I'd love to see you put a list together of your top 3 cheap tubes for output, rectifier, and input. :) I know i'll be tube rolling shortly but i'm unfamiliar with the types the Aegis runs, so a vetted list from an experienced contributor here would be invaluable. and cheap is the name of the game for me for the near future as i replenish funds from all the purchases lately.

May 22, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #685 of 1,046
Once you've had time to learn all the tubes I'd love to see you put a list together of your top 3 cheap tubes for output, rectifier, and input. :) I know i'll be tube rolling shortly but i'm unfamiliar with the types the Aegis runs, so a vetted list from an experienced contributor here would be invaluable. and cheap is the name of the game for me for the near future as i replenish funds from all the purchases lately.
Sure thing brother. I still have several more cheap tubes on the way, and will put a list together asap.

Spoiler - I have already found some goods ones. :o2smile:

May 22, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #686 of 1,046
Sure thing brother. I still have several more cheap tubes on the way, and will put a list together asap.

Spoiler - I have already found some goods ones. :o2smile:
Would be interested in the list too. @Toonartist only makes me buy expensive tubes 🤣. So having budget options is definitely appreciated!

May 22, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #687 of 1,046
Sylvania 6sl7/vt229 and Rectifier with RCA 5r4gy get my votes. If you could source cheap 7F7 then use those with a pair of adapter works instead of the 6sl7 too.

Power tube is harder since the choice is vast. I'd vote for the .... stock JJ EL34 and the metal can 6l6 (10 bucks a pop).

May 22, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #688 of 1,046
Would be interested in the list too. @Toonartist only makes me buy expensive tubes 🤣. So having budget options is definitely appreciated!
Lol... sorry. If it's any consolation my wallet is hurting from multiple ECC35 purchases... I think it's in need of counselling :L3000:

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #689 of 1,046
@L0rdGwyn Would you say the Aegis pushes the input tubes hard or is fairly easy going on them in terms of wear and tear?

May 22, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #690 of 1,046
@L0rdGwyn Would you say the Aegis pushes the input tubes hard or is fairly easy going on them in terms of wear and tear?

They are biased probably a little hotter than in most other circuits since they need to swing a lot of voltage, but still only around 60% of max plate dissipation, so not running them very hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back