Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 21, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #2,926 of 3,012
Straight from the manual. I've had two different units and both have hum and vibration from the chassis. Dead silent from headphones though.

Screenshot_20240520_233500_Drive.jpg
vibrates a bit and "sounds like a cheap refrigerator" are hardly the same thing :joy:

May 21, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #2,928 of 3,012
OK may not be. But my amp has zero hum or vibration.
My guess it's rather transformer voltage related. There are more buzz reports from 230V users.

May 21, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #2,929 of 3,012
May 21, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #2,930 of 3,012
I've tried that theory. It's not is ground loop as Mj3 connected to power socket only buzzes same way.
I'll try dc blocker later.
Do you get it from headphones as well ?

May 21, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #2,931 of 3,012
Yea once the M-field comes out i think it’ll be the amp that gets compared more to MJ3. Mentor is tuned differently, good news is that people have the mentor beating the Vio V550 which is tuned similarly at about double the price, that’s big. My MJ3 is sounding warmer to my ears these days, i think a big part of it is the BF2, i really need to get my hands on an yggy, I think the MIB will give the MJ3 the perfect balance. I heard the combo at canjam but the floor was a bit noisy.
Rest assured, the MiB / MJ3 combo is a stellar match made in heaven.

May 21, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #2,933 of 3,012
I find the Auteur sounds great with m3. m3 is convincing me I prefer solid state over tubes.

At 57 years old I've been stuck at 13 kHz for a bit, after a childhood of subway riding.

May 21, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #2,934 of 3,012
Rest assured, the MiB / MJ3 combo is a stellar match made in heaven.

Agreed! Best Schiit DAC to MJ3! A2 is a close call though but MiB allows MJ3 to have that expansive staging and layering abilities that A2 falls behind ever so slightly

May 21, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #2,935 of 3,012
ZMF Atrium Open has impedance at 300 ohms, MJ3 output impedance is at 0.25 ohm, supposedly the synergy is better when the impedances are more closely matched. Why I was asking how MJ3 runs the AO.

Just preference. Atrium is grander sounding in the bass with some output impedance elevation while its more reserved from very low OI amp. IMHO, it's not just output impedance, but full tube amp circuit along with higher output impedance do more synergetic things to Atrium while planar drivers and tube synergy needs to be a hybrid configuration to extract the absolute best out of it (e.g. Riviera AIC-10 Bal and Hifiman EF1000 to Susvara, both hybrid amps) due to planars excelling on low impedance amps

May 21, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #2,936 of 3,012
Agreed! Best Schiit DAC to MJ3! A2 is a close call though but MiB allows MJ3 to have that expansive staging and layering abilities that A2 falls behind ever so slightly
Yeah, I think MiB >> Mjolnir3 is a perfect match and OG A2 >> Mentor is a perfect match, as well. In both cases the DACs accentuate the strengths of their respective amps.
OG benefits from Mentor's black background and massive soundstage and Mentor loves OG's dynamics and plankton/micro details.
And Mjolnir3 loves MiB's black background, layering and accuracy/staging while MiB loves Mjolnir's timbre and tonality as well as other things you'd know better than I; MJ3 is pretty good at everything.

Synergy is the key in this hobby.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #2,937 of 3,012
Just get properly insulated power cables. The hums will be gone.
Something like this: IECpower cables
I did have a little bit of noise as well on my MJ3 but I bought the cheapest shielded power cable from Wireworld cables (a stratus 7 I think). Paul from PS Audio did one of his Q&A vids about it, from what I understood it really comes down to having shielding only grounded on the male plug end side, which you may be able to DIY for cheaper but since I just wanted it improved I took the easy way out and bought the shielded power cable from a retailer that accepted returns in case it didn't make a difference.

May 22, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #2,939 of 3,012
My silver hammer just arrived. FINALLY! No hum (yet). Feed it neutrally with D90LE and listen on Empy II and others. Comparison to A90 discrete.

I'll be back to report :)
Congrats! The hum is kind of overplayed it is really low, and I only hear it if I have my ear within an inch or two of the amp. Mine does vibrate a little though, lol. I would suspect it would be a noticeable improvement over the Topping A90D when driving the Empyrean II. I noticed an improvement going from a Burson Soloist 3xp /w supercharger to the Mjolnir 3 when powering my Arya V3. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #2,940 of 3,012
What amplifier are you comparing, what DAC, headphones?
For the DAC I'm using the ADI-2 FS. Headphones I tried the DT770 and I also tried the pre-outs with some active speakers.
When switching through the different Mj3 options I can clearly hear a difference. Also a huge difference compared to the AAA789.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back