Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #149,806 of 152,552
My new (to me) Yggy A1/OG Gen5 has arrived and is in the system warming up. Already (even with only SE from it to Kara; my balanced cables haven’t arrived yet) it is noticeably more dynamic and bigger better defined soundstage, noticing extra reality on the Timbre of Sonny Stitt’s sax… obviously won’t know until full break in and get the balanced cables Input is coax digital out from the Phillips CD/SACD player, which has the additional benefit of I can take the DAC output of the Phillips via rca to Kara on one input (for SACD’s which Yggy cant do) just by switching inputs.

Who knows someday might get a dedicated transport.

Pics or didn’t happen.
If you do the Urd > Yggy is very impressive. If you do that then I'd put the Unison Card in too for $150. Unison out > Unison in is supposed to be incredible.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #149,807 of 152,552
I've had my Vali 3 for a week, and it's quite the revelation. I've posted before that the Schiit guys never rest on their laurels and are constantly improving their skills and the products they make. This continues to be true. With my Modi Multibit 2, I now have a current Schiit stack that will serve me very well. To upgrade the sound would cost thousands of dollars.

Of course, Jason, this means you're probably releasing a Modi Multibit 3 anytime now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #149,808 of 152,552
Tonight's Jazz recommendation...

Screenshot 2024-04-25 214942.png

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #149,809 of 152,552
And bonus points for the "free shoulder workout" to get that beast up there :muscle:
Rather than this being the first thing to greet you while unboxing the full-size Schiit, I personally could have used a warning label about making sure to stretch and warmup before the heavy lifting! 😅

Attachments

• IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    902.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #149,810 of 152,552
So, it’s been warming for about 6 hours or so…

Just put on the same Blue Rodeo as the other night.

Song: Hasn’t hit me yet.

My version just now (cd is still on)

Hey hey, it hasn’t hit me yet…
I fell through this cra-ack, and I kinda lost my way..
I stand transfixed…

Before YGGY

OM freaking G. This is literally the best digital I have EVER heard in my system, including the short time when I had my old Theta Data II transport into a DSPre. Same Amp and Speakers. Only other delta is Kara now instead of the Classe’

Goosebumps, hearing life-like details never heard in this before. And the lower mid-bass into bass is more, weighty (not unnaturally). Better stop, jibbering

I think after she’s good and warmed up (like maybe this upcoming weekend) I’ll race the few things I have both on great vinyl and digital.

@Jason Stoddard Please give Mike my utmost compliments. Sorry to “at” you.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #149,811 of 152,552
If you do the Urd > Yggy is very impressive. If you do that then I'd put the Unison Card in too for $150. Unison out > Unison in is supposed to be incredible.
Yeah, but then I’m “Schiit outta Luck” wrt: also playing all my SACDs without two transports. I gotta go sloooooooo… heck, lets see what balanced sounds like in a few days

Still on Blue Rodeo… The honky tonk piano in Cynthia…. Sigh

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #149,813 of 152,552
Tonight's Jazz recommendation...

Screenshot 2024-04-25 214942.png
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Where's the review on the HumminGuru? We're waiting. :laughing:

Say, wasn't that $499 on Amazon the other day when you ordered it? Now it's suddenly $549. Or am I mistaken on the $499?

1714520255655.png

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #149,814 of 152,552
That's the kit with adapters. Since I'm only cleaning 12" LPs, I just got the cleaner.

I'll reserve comments on effectiveness until I've tried some clicky-poppy older records. So far as operation goes, it works quite well.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #149,816 of 152,552
Yggy is really an incredible DAC. Im am completely enamored with mine.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #149,817 of 152,552
Looks like I'll be going to the record store this weekend and buying a few used records. Seems that even as a teen I knew how to care for my albums. I've not run across any so far that have enough pops, clicks, noise to act as a baseline for a before and after HG cleaning comparo. Yay, me. 😁

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #149,818 of 152,552
On the other hand, it requires digital, ADC and DAC. And I may be crazy but it seems to me that there is still some intangible quality in a full analog PA system that disappears in pretty much all recordings as well as when there is a digital mixing console or DSP-corrected loudspeakers in the mix.

You are not crazy! I agree with you regarding 100% analog reproduction or music, versus a digital source - or a source with digital processing stages. My system sounds best when all digital devices are powered-off, the platter of the TT is running at 33.33 RPM... and the needle is in the groove. The stylus on my phono cartridge rides high in the groove by design, and on a clean record background noise is non-existent. A great LP can sound mind-bendingly real at decent volume levels on my system. I am lucky. This has been nearly a fifty year project for me, and a LOT of gear has come in, spent time, and left for new homes... I just wish that I'd kept the Sony TA-5650; I'd love to hear it next to Ragnarok 2 today!

Regarding DSP: FWIW, I don't think that the efficacy of good 'ol passive physical (a.k.a. Art Noxon-style) room treatments can ever be fully replaced by DSP, but not bc the tech isn't capable. The DSP algorithms and filters can calculate a near-perfect solution for a single listening position. It can do amazing things, and I understand that it can work even better if your head is shaped like a microphone <j/k>. I have the luxury to do the room treatment thing, so I'm just going to shut up and enjoy my situation, and esp. the situation that happens when Listening In Another Room... omg there are two people playing guitars downstairs, et al...

I have yet to hear True Multibit, not to mention with equally non-approximate math on the ADC side. I wonder if that might do it, really retain the magic that otherwise seems to go missing when going digital... and if it does not, what understanding of digital representation of sound we're still missing.

What you describe as that intangible quality is still there - I promise you that the magic is still in there. It's in a well-engineered recording, and the right digital signal chain can deliver it. I believe that you owe it to yourself to seek out and hear a Schiit True Multibit DAC. Listen to Sara K's Water Falls on the Stockfisch digital masters, via a Bifrost or a Yggy. Your jaw will drop.

As much as I love analog, I am old and lazy, and occasionally busy doing ridiculous things, so... digital is easier. As the quest continues, I took the opportunity last week to bring my digital source chain "one step closer" to my analog setup. I upgraded my streamer from the manufacturer's "G1" model, bought in late 2020, to their "G2.2" model. The sonic difference (both devices connected to Yggy MiB via a 0.6m SilverSonic DH-110 AES/EBU cable) is stunning. The new streamer delivers a palpably smoother presentation, with a schiit-ton more "air" across the board. Within two minutes of listening to the G2.2, I had to stop and swap the G1 back in to make sure that I wasn't losing my mind.

The G1 is headed back to the manufacturer (for a very gracious trade-in value, thank you!) and I'm not looking back.

Listening to the new streamer in "LIAR mode" today; I'm in the office upstairs and the downstairs system is playing at a medium level. It almost sounds like a LP up here, without the need to run downstairs every 12-20 minutes to flip a disk.

The LPs are reserved for later this evening, and @sixergixer will be here... in spirit. So happy that I'm into this Schiit.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #149,819 of 152,552
Looks like I'll be going to the record store this weekend and buying a few used records. Seems that even as a teen I knew how to care for my albums. I've not run across any so far that have enough pops, clicks, noise to act as a baseline for a before and after HG cleaning comparo. Yay, me. 😁
For science!

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #149,820 of 152,552

Users who are viewing this thread

Back