Dongle DAC & iPhone : Cuts Out at Higher Volume!
May 21, 2024 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wilson.st

New Head-Fier
I have a Dunu DTC500 Dongle DAC. It has both 3.5 SE and 4.4 bal output. When I use either output to IEMs, it works perfectly fine at medium to low volume. However, whenever I crank up volume to over 2/3, on my iPhone, the DAC makes a strange sizzle noise, the connection light fades, and the audio cuts out and gets choppy.

These symptoms are more prevalent with IEMs that command more power and the 4.4 output is much more sensitive to this occurrence.

Is this a power issue stemming from iPhone? The Apple dongle 3.5 SE works MUCH more consistently and does not exhibit the same issues compared to the Dunu DAC when in 3.5.

May 21, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, iPhone are notorious for limiting the power supplied over its Lightning connector (Type C iPhone usually have much less of such issue as Apple needs to adhere to USB standard). For example, most Lightning iPhone limits output voltage to around only 3.3V (as opposed to 5V in USB). Sometimes there is a way around it by using a high power Lightning cable that triggers a 5V output, but I am not an iPhone user so I can't tell you which one will definitely work. I do remember ddHiFi does offer some of their Lightning cable that enable high power output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back