Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 20, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #797 of 865
Ok! And to the amp with RCA input? I was confused when I saw the 3.5mm output on the other end.

Interesting option. Thanks! 👍🏻
4.5mm balanced out to a balanced amp

May 21, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #799 of 865
What does this switch in the menu mean, "programmed power supply" What exactly does it program? Switching doesn't seem to change anything

1000030479.jpg

This is Scheduled Power Off, We have this feature in our Linux-based DAP such as N3Pro, but we couldn't implement this feature in this Android environment. The feature does not mean to show up in the N3Ultra menu, we have removed the edit pull-down menu function since v1.1 and removed this icon from the pull-down menu completely, so you can consider this as a bug in v1.0 firmware and has been rectified in v1.1 firmware/

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 21, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #800 of 865
I wanted to know the function that this symbol indicates in the 4.4mm BAL output or in what cases it can be used. Thanks!

Ok! And to the amp with RCA input? I was confused when I saw the 3.5mm output on the other end.

Interesting option. Thanks! 👍🏻
4.5mm balanced out to a balanced amp

The N3Ultra comes with Dual Line Out capability.

The 3.5mm port (next to the USB-C port) is a dedicated single-ended line-out connector, you can connect M3Ultra to a portable amplifier with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo interconnect. If you want to connect N3Ultra to a desktop amplifier you'll need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable.

The 4.4mm port (on the right side of the bottom panel) is a shared balanced phone out/line out connector, when you set the 4.4mm output to line out via the BAL option in the pull-down menu and connect M3Ultra to a balanced portable amplifier with a 4.4mm to 4.4mm stereo interconnect. If you want to connect N3Ultra to a balanced desktop amplifier you'll need a 4.4mm to dual XLR cable.

We have explained the dual line out feature of N3Ultra on our offical N3Ultra product page as follows:

1716267554607.png

May 21, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #801 of 865
(...)

We have explained the dual line out feature of N3Ultra on our offical N3Ultra product page as follows:
(...)

I don't quite understand what it means that it's "unamplified" but that the tube timbres (there's a typo in the slide btw) are applicable in line-out and work, since tubes are associated with "amplifying".

I have couple of use cases with portable amps that I've used a few times (most of the time I prefer the portability of "just N3Ultra" though):
- mid gain 3.5 LO from N3U to C9 and 4.4mm output to IEM (Symphonium Titan usually). I seem to gravitate towards using tube/modern at N3U end and one of the tube options at C9
- 4.4.mm headphone out from N3U to Oriolus BA300S (portable small tube amp) and 4.4mm headphone out from there ("It is designed to use with the headphone out of the source device so volume control is handled by the input device and not at the amp").
These add some coloration and power (in case of C9 in particular) but there's a bunch of variables and maybe a bit of placebo thrown in as well :beyersmile:

May 21, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #802 of 865
My iPhone 15 will not connect to the Ultra via usb c. Any advice. - Ernie
I had similar issues it needs a specific of cable cuz some work some don’t do idk. The ddhifi one works but the one I received had a kinda buzzy sound going on. So I returned it.

Since I have managed the RU6 and RU7 discussion threads, I have learned that not all USB-C cables are the same, and the audiophile cable descriptions are not particularly helpful.

First of all, the cable must be OTG-ready, we have noticed a lot of PD-certified cables that are brilliant for quick charging but they don't support OTG.

Secondly, the cable must sustain a 5V loading when connected between the DAP and the mobile phone as USB-DAC (i.e., when functioning in OTG operations). Most data cables are good for 3.3V only, these are perfectly fine for file management. If the cable supplier can provide current loading capability that would be even better. 1A is good and 2A is even better, but theoretically, all 5V cables should establish the USB DAC connection smoothly.

Please be reminded that the charging and data functions of a USB cable are independent of each other. You can have a USB-C cable that can sustain very high voltage for charging, but the data cable remains basic 3.3V only (or not OTB-ready), which is why selecting a USB adapter cable is always a PITA problem.

We have tested iPhone 15 with N3Ultra and we can connect them successfully with the USB-C short cable bundled with our Dongle DACs.

N3Ultra with Iphone 15.jpg

@wazzupi which DDHiFi cable you have tried? The buzzy indicated a shielding problem. Based on our experience with Cayin RU7, the DDHiFi TC07S and TC09S should work fine and I am surprised that this isn't working out for you.

Last but not least, you can also establish a connection with OTG C to A adapter and USB-A to USB-C OTG cable. The USB-A to USB-C cables are widely available but please make sure the C to A adapter must be OTG-ready.

N3Ultra USB DAC with CtoA adapter.jpg

May 21, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #803 of 865
Since I have managed the RU6 and RU7 discussion threads, I have learned that not all USB-C cables are the same, and the audiophile cable descriptions are not particularly helpful.

First of all, the cable must be OTG-ready, we have noticed a lot of PD-certified cables that are brilliant for quick charging but they don't support OTG.

Secondly, the cable must sustain a 5V loading when connected between the DAP and the mobile phone as USB-DAC (i.e., when functioning in OTG operations). Most data cables are good for 3.3V only, these are perfectly fine for file management. If the cable supplier can provide current loading capability that would be even better. 1A is good and 2A is even better, but theoretically, all 5V cables should establish the USB DAC connection smoothly.

Please be reminded that the charging and data functions of a USB cable are independent of each other. You can have a USB-C cable that can sustain very high voltage for charging, but the data cable remains basic 3.3V only (or not OTB-ready), which is why selecting a USB adapter cable is always a PITA problem.

We have tested iPhone 15 with N3Ultra and we can connect them successfully with the USB-C short cable bundled with our Dongle DACs.

@wazzupi which DDHiFi cable you have tried? The buzzy indicated a shielding problem. Based on our experience with Cayin RU7, the DDHiFi TC07S and TC09S should work fine and I am surprised that this isn't working out for you.

Last but not least, you can also establish a connection with OTG C to A adapter and USB-A to USB-C OTG cable. The USB-A to USB-C cables are widely available but please make sure the C to A adapter must be OTG-ready.

It’s unfortunate we can’t purchase the Cayin otg cable or I can’t find anywhere to buy it.
I was having issues with this cable could of been just a 1 off

DD ddHiFi TC07S Nyx Series Silver USB-C​

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #804 of 865
I don't quite understand what it means that it's "unamplified" but that the tube timbres (there's a typo in the slide btw) are applicable in line-out and work, since tubes are associated with "amplifying".

I have couple of use cases with portable amps that I've used a few times (most of the time I prefer the portability of "just N3Ultra" though):
- mid gain 3.5 LO from N3U to C9 and 4.4mm output to IEM (Symphonium Titan usually). I seem to gravitate towards using tube/modern at N3U end and one of the tube options at C9
- 4.4.mm headphone out from N3U to Oriolus BA300S (portable small tube amp) and 4.4mm headphone out from there ("It is designed to use with the headphone out of the source device so volume control is handled by the input device and not at the amp").
These add some coloration and power (in case of C9 in particular) but there's a bunch of variables and maybe a bit of placebo thrown in as well :beyersmile:

When we say unamplified output, we refer to bypassing the headphone amplifier circuit completely. We can have a low gain voltage amplifier in line out/pre-out application, which is necessary in most implementations. Even with line out, to reach 2V single-ended and 4V parallel, you need to have low gain voltage amplification in place. What we need to avoid in line out (and pre-out) is high gain voltage amplification and any form of current amplification.

May 21, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #805 of 865
It’s unfortunate we can’t purchase the Cayin otg cable or I can’t find anywhere to buy it.
I was having issues with this cable could of been just a 1 off

DD ddHiFi TC07S Nyx Series Silver USB-C​

I'll check with our Sales to find out if we can sell the cable through our Alibaba shop.

May 21, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #806 of 865

The 3.5mm port (next to the USB-C port) is a dedicated single-ended line-out connector, you can connect M3Ultra to a portable amplifier with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo interconnect. If you want to connect N3Ultra to a desktop amplifier you'll need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable.

The 4.4mm port (on the right side of the bottom panel) is a shared balanced phone out/line out connector, when you set the 4.4mm output to line out via the BAL option in the pull-down menu and connect M3Ultra to a balanced portable amplifier with a 4.4mm to 4.4mm stereo interconnect. If you want to connect N3Ultra to a balanced desktop amplifier you'll need a 4.4mm to dual XLR cable.

1716267554607.png
Thank you very much, I'll go over everything and catch up. ✌🏻

May 21, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #808 of 865
I would suggest a longer OTG .7m or 1m or the unit will pick up noise through the tubes if you try to stack the N3U on top of another device. From my observations using the XDUOO XD05 Pro as a amp.

May 22, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #809 of 865
Having another issue post update.
Files I load onto SD card either directly through the N3U or directly loaded onto SD card with a reader can't be recognized by the DAP.

I can't find any way to refresh library in the MENU?

Something I am missing?

May 22, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #810 of 865
1715651316732.jpeg

The Announcement of N3Ultra Firmware v1.2

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Add a new double-click wake-up function;
  2. Rectify the problem of the left and right channels reversed during DSD512 playback;
  3. Other optimization and bugs fixed
Firmware ULR: https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/643.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N3Ultra as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through local update. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website.

A Kind Reminder to N3Ultra Firmware Upgrade
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor differences, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3Ultra Digital Audio Player.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrades will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to malfunction or any other reason. For these reasons, we strongly suggest you remove all storage devices inserted into the DAP before you perform the firmware upgrade.
  • The N3Ultra firmware cannot be used in other products, and the firmware from other products cannot be used in N3Ultra

Attention
  • Please make sure the N3Ultra has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your TF card has more than 2GB of storage before the firmware update.

Firmware Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the Support Center of Cayin website, please select “Personal Audio” on this page.
  2. You should receive a compressed file (cayin_N3Ultra_xxx_xxxxxxx_8.1_user_update.zip) for the N3Ultra firmware update. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of your TF card, and insert the TF card into N3Ultra before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Select "System Settings" on the main menu, at the Setting menu page select “System” and then select "FOTA* Updates” to enter the firmware update interface;
  5. Select “Local updates” in the System Update screen.
  6. Proceed to the root directory of your TF card, then select the firmware file.
  7. The system will remind you that the device will be restarted during the firmware update, select “OK” in the confirmation window, and the system will start the firmware upgrade process;
  8. Do not operate the device during a firmware update. After the upgrade is complete, the system will reboot automatically and you can use the DAP when the device resumes from reboot.
  9. Please delete the firmware file from the TF card after you have completed the firmware update process
* FOTA stands for Firmware Over-The-Air

N3U Menu Desktop.jpg

N3U Menu Setting.jpg

Local Update.jpg

Device will be restarted.jpg
I don't know Why my N3Ultra can't see new update zip file in TF card ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back