CanJam Singapore 2024 Impressions Thread (April 6-7, 2024)
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #47 of 204
Ey, the Hifigo lady!
oh right! I was wondering why this dude took this celeb-kinda pic with this lady haha!

I hope someone tried the Softears Enigma! I'm also curious about the price range.

GJ2a8RlbEAAzE31.jpg
This design looks quite a downgrade from the initial prototype image that came out. Hopefully it looks nice in well lit conditions.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #49 of 204
C'mon guys! I think last year we ended up with 27 or so pages. Is there really nothing of interest??

drftr

A lot less written after NYC too compared to last year. Hope to read a lot more impressions soon!!

Guys, the event isn't even over yet! Let them soak it all in! The reporting dump on Head-fi will surely follow.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #51 of 204
C'mon guys! I think last year we ended up with 27 or so pages. Is there really nothing of interest??

drftr
Hey Joop,

Sorry for the lack of posts. It certainly is not for the lack of positive impressions. In fact, it's just the opposite. We have been going non-stop from early in the morning until late at night every single day. Most of us are deferring posting until we can catch a breath. I will post a tl;dr post before I go for breakfast this morning.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #53 of 204
I hope more people try the Yamaha, that headphones' potential is very impressive (best I've heard). And if you nicely ask Brise to try their cable on it, do it! The synergy between the two is something special.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #54 of 204
Cross posted from the headfi discovery thread:

CAN JAM SINGAPORE IMPRESSIONS

1) The Tangzu Zhu Ba Jie is an upcoming tribrid, packing a massive 14.2 mm DD + 3 BA + 1 EST (electret).

The finalized tuning is not confirmed, but this beta unit sounds like a U-shaped balanced signature that lies on the warmer side.

Big sub-bass rumble (as can be seen from the huge side bass vents from the massive 14.2 mm drivers). Treble and upper mids are safe, and there are at least above average technical chops with a non-claustrophobic soundstage.

Pricing and release date TBC.

Tangzu Zhu Ba Jie 1.jpg
Tangzu Zu Ba Jie 2.jpg

2) The Tangzu XUAN NÜ is a budget collab with HBB.

This is a warm bassy dual DD set that is very musical. 10 mm ceramic diaphragm with 8 mm PU+ LCP config.

The big bass is surprisingly quite textured and rumbly, with thick note weight. Thankfully, despite being bassy, the bass doesn't encroach so much and eat into the midrange and treble, and still gives some space for the upper frequencies to breath, so it sounds quite balanced for a bassy set.

Technicalities are average, but the timbre is very natural. Sounds like a set for chilling and relaxing.

Tangzu Xuan Nv.jpg

3) The Binary Audio Dynaquattro is a 4 DD set! Yes you didn't read that wrongly. 4 DD!

This IEM is quite hard to drive, not sure of the sensitivity and impedance specs. I was bringing a Sony WM1A DAP for the show and I suspect it may have underpowered this IEM, might try it again with a better source later on.

Sounds warm neutralish, safe tuning, no shoutiness in the upper mids. Bass is textured and relatively nimble though with not the deepest sub-bass rumble. Timbre is very natural, with above average technicalities.

Price and launch date TBC.

Binary Acoustics Dynaquattro.jpg

4) The DUNU TITAN S2 is a budget sequel to the lauded neutral bright Titan S.

The Titan S2 is still neutralish, though it is slightly warmer than the original Titan S, with more sub-bass and less upper mids shoutiness than the predecessor.

Technicalities sound average though, so I think it loses a bit of resolution compared to the predecessor, though tonally it is a bit more friendly and less sterile sounding. Timbre is a bit more natural with thicker note weight. Bass has ample texturing and speed.

Titan S2.jpg

5) At the 7Hz booth, there are quite a few new releases to check out!

First up, is the 7Hz Aurora, which is a 12 mm DD + 1 x 6 mm microplanar + 2 BA tribrid.

7Hz Aurora.jpg

It has a very clean and transparent U-shaped signature, extremely balanced with a tight, textured and fast bass. Upper mids are thankfully not shouty, with good technical chops. Sub-bass extends very well. My only small nitpick would be a bit of BA timbre, but this can perhaps be mitigated with eartip-rolling or source pairing.
There are 2 other 7Hz dongles present.

In the 2nd photo, we have the Artemis, which is an ESS9039 dongle. It can pump out 200+ mW on balanced mode, which should be sufficient for most gear out there other than outliers.
Neutral but not sterile sounding, with good end-to-end extension. Solid technicalities and expansive soundstage.

7Hz Artemis.jpg

I like that the Artemis has a separate USB-C port to feed power, should one need more juice or wanna prevent battery drain in an OTG phone. One cool thing for our wireless friends, is that it has a Bluetooth functionality, though I didn't have any wireless gear to test at the show unfortunately - but this is kind of a 2-in-1 dongle as it can be wired or wireless.

The 2nd dongle is that of the Apollo 31. This packs dual CS43131 DACs. Likewise, it has a 2nd USB-C port purely for power, though this dongle has no Bluetooth. Sounds a bit more sterile than the Artemis, for a different flavour, with good technical chops.

7Hz Apollo.jpg

6) The BQEYZ Cloud is an upcoming 1 DD + 1 Passive Radiator IEM.

I'm not that great with technical Chinese terms, but their engineer and tuner was present at the show and I think he was really talking about a Passive Radiator when I asked him about the driver config.

Interestingly, this Passive Radiator is not a rear chamber one like that of the Simgot EA1000, but seems to be a front chamber one, which actually improves the upper frequencies and adds air. Once again, apologies as I'm not too cognizant of the actual technical Chinese terms used, if anyone has further info, please feel free to correct me.

Anyways, the finalized tuning is not confirmed, but they aim to release it in May. From this pre-production unit, the Cloud sounds like a neutral bright set that is extremely technical. Expansive soundstage with a very fast bass and pinpoint imaging. The first term that came to mind was "CLEAN" sounding.

However, I found it a bit bright and sibilant. Their tuner says they tuned it more for the domestic and Japanese market which they feel prefers brighter technical tunings, but they will gather more feedback and see if the others feel that the treble should be tamed.

Supposed to release at sub-$150 USD.

BQEYZ Cloud.jpg

7) The Celest Relentless is a 1 DD + 6 BA hybrid retailing at $169 USD.

Balanced sounding, very transparent sonics with excellent technicalities for a $100ish hybrid. Upper mids are not harsh with a fast and clean bass. For a BA containing setup, timbre is quite decent.

Quite an all-rounder set.

Celest Relentless.jpg

8) At the Kotori booth, there are 2 upcoming IEMs.

First up, is the Kotori Vampire, a 1 BA IEM, which should retail at $99 USD. It comes with a nice Kotori cable and is well accessorized and built solidly.

This is a warm neutral IEM, with thick note weight. It is very musical with minimal BA timbre. Non-fatiguing signature with good fit and isolation, can be used for long listening sessions. However, like most pure BA setups, there is BA bass with some sub-bass roll-off.

Kotori Vampire.jpg

Next up, is the Kotori Zephyr. This is a 1 BA + 1 DD hybrid. Indeed, it looks to have a similar motif to the legendary IKKO OH10, but i can assure you, the Zephyr is much lighter with superior ergonomics.

The Zephyr has a U-shaped signature, and is very transparent sounding with good technicalities and a fast and clean bass.

Kotori Zephyr.jpg

9) The AFUL P3 is an upcoming 2BA + 1 DD hybrid from the brand. Retail price and launch date TBC, but it will probably be sub-$100 according to their rep.

It sounds like a neutral IEM with a sub-bass boost. Very balanced with good technicalities. Non-shouty upper mids, good extension at both ends. Very promising tuning, with just a small nitpick of slight BA timbre. Fits well too.

AFUL p3 2.jpg

AFUL P3.jpg

10) The TANCHJIM 4U contains a DMT4 DD. It has 4 tuning options via a bass dial vent located at the inner aspect of the IEM, something akin to the Sennheiser IE80S.

Very transparent sounding (but bass can of course be jacked up a bit should you wish to). Safely tuned, love the timbre.

I think it retails at 70ish USD according to the rep.

Tanchjim 4U.jpg

Tanchjim 4U 2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #55 of 204
What a whirlwind trip. I will come back to do a more complete this review when I have more time. For now, here is the tl;dr

The Watercooler Gang

Image_20240407_072221.jpeg

I have been in Singapore since Tuesday night. W, Th and Fri were filled with eating and meet up expeditions which I will detail later. We coined a new term and got to hear both new products and prototypes giving us a great overview of what's to come. We call them the IEM Avengers. The men who tune IEMs in a way that makes us cry.

Here is who we met at Effect Audio on Friday

We got to meet Lee from Elysian Acoustic Labs

Image_20240407_073708.jpeg

Oliver from Vision Ears,

Image_20240407_073734.jpeg

Fei Wan (middle). Yes, the actual tuner of the Aroma Fei Wan IEM and new line of IEMs

Image_20240407_073910.jpeg

Emil from Lime Ears

Image_20240407_073823.jpeg

We spent a lot of time talking about what it takes to tune an IEM and the trade offs required.

Well, I am out of time. Will come back to add more later when I get a chance.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #56 of 204
1000196081.jpg

To sum up in one sentence: Insane sound quality!

Could be the most clean and transparent sounding headphone I ever heard (and I heard basically all TOTL out there). Even better thing, Immanis provide the fullest body notes compared to other Raal products (with smoother treble as well).
Totally agree man, it sounds so captivating like you can just dive deep into your music and lose it all <3

drftr
Man I am facing some serious network issues here so couldn't process and post all the images. Even for the video that I posted, I took help from a friend in India to help me edit lol. It took me 4 hours just to send him all the videos of Day 1 yesterday. They were like 40 of those and I might upload it later today.
About written impressions, I will soon post them once I am back home I need to edit those images and after the event, I am just so damn tired that I just want to sleep haha.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #57 of 204
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #59 of 204
I don't understand for which reason but some reviewer shared impressions in the "The discovery thread" or in the watercooler thread instead of here. Doesn't make sense to me.
IEM is big ticket item in SG and IEM guys hang out in those threads so that might be the reason

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #60 of 204
I didn't know about this new IEM from Meze until the show. It's called the Meze Audio Alba, "Alba" being a poetic Romanian word meaning "first light." The Alba comes packaged with a USB dongle DAC (that I think supports up to 32/384), and I think it's expected to retail for around $149 (USD). First impressions: Tonal balance is on the more neutral side, there's some sparkle up top, and it resolves nicely. I listened first, and was very surprised when they told me the price. I believe the Alba is a single driver design -- a single dynamic driver per side.

Even though Meze was giving away the nicest MMCX removal tool I've yet used for free (which I mentioned in an earlier post), they've gone to the more common two-pin IEM cable ear-side termination for the Alba.

I don't know exactly when they're releasing the Alba, but I think it's going to be soon.

IMG_2407.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back