LHY UIP USB audio isolator
Apr 20, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 45
A new generation of high speed USB isolator chips is a game changer due a low cost. I wrote it on the Douk Audio poorman DDC thread a year ago when there was still no commercial products available. It is more effective when noise is not entering a DAC/DDC enclosure, where a dirty side before galvanic isolation is sharing a different winding of the transformer.

Some products like Intona has proven a concept, but with a price tag and not free of compatibility issues. Other proprietary solutions created rather confusion than a solution.

One things needs to be said clear. USB isolator is not a replacement for a DDC. Even such high priced product like UIP. I would rather use $40 isolator dongle or $50 isolated hub with a socket for external power from Aliexpress together with a DDC.

There are sample links on a Douk Audio U2Pro thread, it will be more. Or use two isolators in series, if that matters. A second in a chain must be self powered, isolated hubs $50 provide such option. A datasheet says that maximum three isolators can be used in a chain without violating USB timing requirements.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 45
@m-i-c-k-e-y Would you believe I cannot find my SU-6’s power supply, and if not for the fact they use a less common 7.5-9v voltage I’d have used one of my many 5v or 12v supplies.

Sorry the testing / comparisons has taken longer than expected to get properly underway. Found I had to totally rejig my system layout (incl bringing in an old hifi rack and moving my large OLED and its stand) to plug everything in and be able to connect things incl the 5 additional relockers and DDCs under test - 16 AC sockets but still 1 short would you believe.

Managed that finally last night. Can’t yet comment on the SU-6 + UIP but the U18 fed by the UIP sounds better than I’ve ever heard it before. A Tubulus Argentus i2S kindly loaned by Brett no doubt helps too. Will have to compare it to my modest Blue Jeans FE.

TBC…

IMG_0365.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 45
@Jake2 No problemo, greatly appreciated the thought and effort. Thank you! At least confirmed the idea of UIP+DDC is good and very promising (and cost effective)!

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 45
So I tried the Audio-Gd DI-20HE DDC last night with the UIP, but no dice so far with I2S to my DAC, likely due to an I2S incompatibility. Hopefully solveable. May need to try another connection type.

So last night after rearranging my system including bringing back an old rack to make all the switching and connections manageable for my DDC and USB regen fiesta (3 DDCs & 2 USB regens ), I tried feeding the DI-20HE via USB from the LHY UIP. Had been working nicely doing this with UIP to Gustard U18 using a Tubulus Argentus I2S to my R26 DAC.

Unfortunately despite trying multiple settings on the DI20 to ensure I best matched the Gustard i2S pin config (option 2 an exact match apart from Pin 15 for DSD), and trying both Serial and Parallel modes I found my R26 was stuck on DSD, even though the source signal was PCM (I then changed it in HQP to DSD to at least be consistent) with sound only out of one channel, which was very distorted with a high level of hiss and really quiet distorted music. Tried restarting a few things incl the DI20 with no joy. Quite a bummer as was really looking forward to finally hearing it. 😕

It seems the dreaded Pin 15 incompatibility strikes again. For the record over on the R26 thread some owners with the DI-20HE got stuck on PCM, others, like me, on DSD. No rhyme or reason. It’s not the end of the world being stuck on DSD, I can work with that if I can just solve the distortion issue - hopefully not inextricably linked to the Pin 15 thing.

This evening I’ll give it another go taking the UIP out of the chain, going direct to my server. 🤞

Any suggestions as to other things I could try?

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #20 of 45
Pin 15 problem agaiin? Tried SPDIF?

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #22 of 45
Hi, Sorry if this may sound a stupid question but what is the benefit of the 10 MHz Master clock input on a device like the LYH UIP does it improve the USB output? I have zero knowledge on how Master clocks work. The only audio equipment I have with a 10 MHz Master clock is the DDC audio-gd DI-24HE that I only use to coveret to SPdif output. So would the clock in the DI-24HE work with the clock in the LYH UIP and would this give better results in just say using a USB Isolator without a 10 MHz clock?
Thanks

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 45
Hi, Sorry if this may sound a stupid question but what is the benefit of the 10 MHz Master clock input on a device like the LYH UIP does it improve the USB output? I have zero knowledge on how Master clocks work. The only audio equipment I have with a 10 MHz Master clock is the DDC audio-gd DI-24HE that I only use to coveret to SPdif output. So would the clock in the DI-24HE work with the clock in the LYH UIP and would this give better results in just say using a USB Isolator without a 10 MHz clock?
Thanks
Your question is timely as I spent a good chunk of an overcast, blowy ANZAC day (WWI memorial holiday here) finally getting the DI-20HE up and running incl with the UIP, incl with external clocks. I’m listening to that combo right now, and it sounds superb.

Getting into the theoretical whys of how clocks in asynchronous output devices like USB regenerators (and switches) can
/do have any audible effect is a technical and contentious topic I’m hardly qualified to opine so for now I might just share some hot off the press observations which may give you some partial answers..

LHY UIP and Audio-Gd DI20-HE listening impressions
  • the LHY UIP is a quality piece of kit and beats the Gustard U18 in my system comfortably, a more full bodied and refined sound, with greater depth. U18 a little thin by comparison. It also bests, though by not as large a margin, my R26 DAC’s internal streamer - more soundstage definition and overall dynamic scale. Tonality similar.
  • the LHY UIP running on its internal OCXO is very good, when externally clocked by my tweaked OCK-2 with a good BNC cable it is superb, another class of soundstage scale, dynamics and finesse
  • the DI-20HE lives up to its reputation as a top class DDC. Today is the first day I heard it and I listened to it with a loaned high-quality AES/EBU cable (thanks again @Mr Brett ) because I couldn’t get I2S working due to a Gustard/Audio-Gd I2S incompatibility. The DI20 is in another class to my U18, a much more full bodied, expansive, refined and balanced sound.
  • DI20 + OCK2 is another level again above its internal oscillator, even less grain/glare, more soundstage depth and definition, transient weight and impact eg. Piano notes are more precisely rendered with more texture
  • adding the LHY UIP (int OCXO) in front of DI20 (+ OCK2) satisfyingly elevated the DI20 - the transient leading edges of double base strings were cleaner and more impactful, richer timbre and texture to the body of the string and just generally more weight. A rich, soaring sound.
  • Due to limitations in compatible cables and clock outputs (one/square & 50/75) I have not yet been able to simultaneously clock the UIP and DI20 (DAC and Afterdark streamer/FMC already connected). Instead what I did was switched the clock cable from the DI20 to the UIP: UIP (+OCK-2) to DI20 (int) and compared vs UIP (int) to DI20 (int). Once again UIP with EXT clock had a more expansive soundstage and just greater dynamic scale then INT. Also more refined, a purer sound with less grain. However this combo was not quite on the level of the UIP (INT) to DI20 ( OCK2), but not far behind.. perhaps 70% of the delta between UIP (INT) to DI20 (INT) vs UIP (INT) to DI20 (OCK2).
  • Random observations - both the UIP and DI20 respond very positively to vibration damping.
  • Conclusion - UIP (INT) to DI20 (OCK2) is a superb combo, so musical and engaging with heaps of ‘technicalities’ to boot
Up next:
  • UIP (INT) to DI20 ( OCK2) vs Innuous Phoenix

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #24 of 45
That's a lot to take in. When you refer to OCK2 is that the LYH OCK-2? If so, to get the best sound out of the LHY UIP I would also need to buy the LYH OCK-2 to go with my DI-24HE?

Thanks

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #25 of 45
my LHY UIP will arrive home next week; my idea is to insert it with the OCK 2 external master clock that I already have, after my bluenode streamer and then straight to the DI24HE; the DI 24he and my Gustard R26 are already connected to a square wave AfterDark queen masterclock... it's all very exaggerated I guess :)

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #26 of 45
Thanks
Inteligent question. UIP is a well designed, low noise device, it is what matters. It has other features aimed for audiophiles taste and justify high price.
:)

Bottom of line, listen what @Jake2 says, hype has to be verified by experience. In a different configuration external clock feeding asynchronous device may improve quality, but not because of a clock. There are other factors like ground loops and EMI distribution. Any wire you connect to a device changes 3D energy flows.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #27 of 45
That's a lot to take in. When you refer to OCK2 is that the LYH OCK-2? If so, to get the best sound out of the LHY UIP I would also need to buy the LYH OCK-2 to go with my DI-24HE?

Thanks
Happy to discuss in more length over PM, but yes, in a nutshell the LHY UIP performs best with my external clock. This makes sense to me as for its asking price of USD500 there’s only so much quality OCXO they can include. Note I’ve done more than a few tweaks to my OCK-2 (incl multiple grounds and hundreds of bucks work of fo.Q and tungsten cube vibration damping) so it’s sorta an OCK-2 Plus. Want certainty of clocking performance. get an Afterdark, Mutec or Cybershaft. But best to discuss over PM if that’s OK.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 45
Just as suspected...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::thumbsup:

Now the big buck question: (USB Reclock + DDC + Clock) OR (Switch w/ FMC + Clock)

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #29 of 45
Talking about FMC, just installed mine with a LHY LPS thanks to the guys over in the R26 thread Mickey and Jake included. Very good results and an even darker background. Question when I get my OCK 2 do I connect it to both the UIP and R26 or just to the UIP?

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 45
LHY UIP + Audio-Gd DI-20HE vs Innuous PhoenixUSB - round one

The Phoenix is the eight hundred pound gorilla at GBP3k/USD4K weighing in at well over than twice the price of the UIP & DI20HE combo which comes in at USD1.6k.

I already knew the Phoenix was pretty special as I’ve listened to it alongside the UIP over the last two weeks. That and the many of glowing reviews from folk with way more exotic DACs and systems than mine. From this I learned the Phoenix has two statement class Sean Jacobs PSUs and a very high grade OCXO that a top reviewer on Audiophilestyle felt bettered a very good SoTM DDC + Mutec REF10 clock as was ultimately edged only by upping the clock to a Mutec REF10 120SE (USD7k!). I mention all this as context, to set the scene.

Anyway I was rooting for the UIP and DI20HE (+OCK2) as it was/is sounding so good and well y’know I can sorta afford it.

But goddamnit, and I have to call it as I hear it inconvenient or not, otherwise what’s the point/who am I kidding.. the Phoenix takes it with a more warm and full sound with this remarkable bass weight.. incl more PraT and tempo. Not a gulf but it’s in the lead for now - as you might expect/hope for the price.

Caveat is that’s from a quick comparison, stock cables on everything and no vibration footers on the DI20 (the Phoenix comes with fancy footers built in)
To be continued.. I’ll do my best to close the gap with a few ideas including seeing if I can externally clock the UIP as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back