Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 2, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #9,886 of 9,902
"The amp can output 1500 V p-p measured stator to stator..." Stator to stator means L+ to L- or R+ to R-:
1709087943066.jpeg

If I wanted to measure my BH output but don't want to spend $1,000 on a Rigol what would be the best tester to buy off Amazon that is reasonably priced?

May 2, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #9,887 of 9,902
the tricky bit is the 2000 volt rated balanced differential probe. the good ones are more than the scope.
the 1300v versions definitely will blow up.

if you don't have experience with high voltage, you should not be doing this.

May 3, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #9,888 of 9,902
if you don't have experience with high voltage, you should not be doing this.

Thanks Kevin.

Right now I only have the 4 PSVANE tubes in the BH, they will fail eventually. I'm looking into buying a backup pair now so I have some when the time comes. I just can't figure
out which ones to get. Some people swear things like the EL34L or EL34 II are 100% compatible, others say they will blow up and amp. I am not an EE so I don't know.

Something makes me thing the thicker a tube is or more stuff it looks like it has inside = higher quality. I realize this is placebo.

So many of these tube comparison videos:

May 3, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #9,889 of 9,902
Thanks Kevin.

Right now I only have the 4 PSVANE tubes in the BH, they will fail eventually. I'm looking into buying a backup pair now so I have some when the time comes. I just can't figure
out which ones to get. Some people swear things like the EL34L or EL34 II are 100% compatible, others say they will blow up and amp. I am not an EE so I don't know.

Something makes me thing the thicker a tube is or more stuff it looks like it has inside = higher quality. I realize this is placebo.
l
So many of these tube comparison videos:

Be carefull with the PSAVANE ! One of my PSAVANE created a short circuit to my BHSE that I then needed to send back to Justin for repair. Justin confirmed that PSAVANE tubes may have some reliability issues.

May 3, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #9,890 of 9,902
Be carefull with the PSAVANE ! One of my PSAVANE created a short circuit to my BHSE that I then needed to send back to Justin for repair. Justin confirmed that PSAVANE tubes may have some reliability issues.

Ok then....... So what tubes do you recommend then? You said not to use PSVANE but didn't recommendation anything else

May 3, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #9,891 of 9,902
Ok then....... So what tubes do you recommend then? You said not to use PSVANE but didn't recommendation anything else
I went back to the original one shipped with my BHSE...

May 3, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #9,892 of 9,902

I posted this back in 2019 and am still using the same set of tubes with a lot of hours on them and zero issues.

I've had good results with matched "EL34 STR 450 Siemens NOS" tubes that I got from Mesa Boogie. It was fairly subtle, but they did seem to improve clarity and gave an overall more tube-like sound signature (in the best sense). For me, they were worth the cost. Plus they are inexpensive by NOS standards.

May 3, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #9,893 of 9,902
I posted this back in 2019 and am still using the same set of tubes with a lot of hours on them and zero issues.

Everyone seems like like the Mullard XF2 so I ordered a "faithful recreation" of them

May 3, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #9,897 of 9,902
I double checked and my memory is off. It was Dan Clark who said he used Siemens tubes in his BHSE.

I'm sure the Mullards are excellent too.
Yes, he told me that, also. That's the ones from Ram labs I mentioned.

May 3, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #9,898 of 9,902
You need a differential probe like the MDP3000 which is pretty affordable: https://www.micsig.com/MDP/

Plus you need an oscilloscope... There's a lot of cheap Chinese made options now like this 12 bit scope: https://int.rigol.com/products/detail/DHO800

I don't see this being a $1000 endeavor, but probably $650 USD or so, which is really cheap for a 12 bit scope and a 3000V differential probe.

If I wanted to measure my BH output but don't want to spend $1,000 on a Rigol what would be the best tester to buy off Amazon that is reasonably priced?

May 3, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #9,899 of 9,902
Yes, he told me that, also. That's the ones from Ram labs I mentioned.
I bought these as well. Still running strong after 3 years. I really like them.

May 14, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #9,900 of 9,902
Are there any socket savers people can recommend? I was just about to order 4 off Amazon then I saw a review of one where a user had to pry the socket saver out with a screw driver and damaged the socket. Any good ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back