Cayin HA-2A, Compact Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 11, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #108 of 129
image.jpg

Fantastic. Just fantastic sound.

May 11, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #111 of 129
Have you been able to compare it with the HA-3A?

Thanks
Keko123

I've heard the HA-2A but not for an extended session, but did like its sound
I own the HA-3A, and listen to it a LOT.

IMO both are great amps.

While the 2 are very close in costs, I think Cayin is separating the 2 from each other by stating the following:
HA-2A is an Ultralinear Amp
HA-3A is an Triode Amp

From the HA-6A online info which allows users to switch between the 2 styles directly on the amp via a switch.
They call out the sound difference of the 2 amp styles as follows
1715466995743.png

Not sure I fully subscribe to the HA-3A being geared towards vocal and strings
I listen to all genres including classic rock and Jazz which needs the characteristics listed above for the Ultra-linear mode.
The HA-3A does great with these genres, which the explanation above seems to indicate it might not. DEFINITELY NOT the case.

The other differentiator is the availability of NOS tubes for both amps
For the HA-3A there are a LOT of NOS and modern 6V6 and 12AU7 tube alternatives which can "tune" the amp to do different things and sound different
Tube rolling on the HA-3A is great and to me fun, and there are tube alternatives in just about every price range.

The HA-2A out of the box does use a great tube manufacturer (Amperex) who's sound I do like and own many Amperex tubes for my HA-3A
The Orange "world globe" logo Amperex tubes are true NOS tubes and are sought by some tube rollers, so the stock tubes will be good "as-is" (IMO)
And there are some alternate NOS tubes from GE, RCA and Sylvania I've found online and they are VERY inexpensive (all under $20 each, and some under $6) when compared to even the relatively lower cost tubes the HA-3A uses (Which range from $35 to as high as $500 per tube. Tubes for other amps like 300B tubes are REALLY expensive with the Holy Grail 300B tubes going for $9K+ a pair!)

I was impressed enough that I've been considering getting a HA-2A for my brother-in-law as a significant life stage present (he is about to hit one) as he is getting back into Audio but did not want to have to dedicate a lot of funds towards the hobby, but likes my HA-3A's sound.

The great thing about the Cayin Amp Line up is the lowest cost amp is not a "Penalty Box" it is just a different sound than its other siblings
for the HA Series, its Ultralinear (HA-2A), Triode (HA-3A) Both (HA-6A)
The other amps from Cayin offer power/tube combos to drive external speakers or do other things, and are different than the HA series mentioned above which is dedicated to headphones. ( The one outlier being the HA-300Mk2 which while listed as a headphone amp does have speaker connections)
This is the info I've found from doing the research
But what I wrote above is NOT "official" Cayin words, so I'll have to say its IMO, and YMMV

Hope this info helps

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #113 of 129

Saw the 8-series stack right besides the HA-2A, so I guess you have dropped by our Munich high-end booth and have checked out new products as well. I hope you are impressed by the new products as well.

I assume there is a set of HA-3A somewhere in the booth, or it wasn't hooked up but in static display only? I agree with the other, a setup with iDAP-8 and iDAC-8 as source and have both HA-2A and HA-3A connected to the iDAC-8 will make it easier for customers to compare and decided between the two amplifiers.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 11, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #114 of 129
image.jpg

Looks amazing. Are you using the stock tubes? I wonder how much of an upgrade this would be over my Feliks Echo Mk2.

May 12, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #115 of 129
Keko123

I've heard the HA-2A but not for an extended session, but did like its sound
I own the HA-3A, and listen to it a LOT.

IMO both are great amps.

While the 2 are very close in costs, I think Cayin is separating the 2 from each other by stating the following:
HA-2A is an Ultralinear Amp
HA-3A is an Triode Amp

From the HA-6A online info which allows uses to switch between the 2 styles directly on the amp via a switch.
They call out the sound difference of the 2 amp styles as follows
1715466995743.png

Not sure I fully subscribe to the HA-3A being geared towards vocal and strings
I listen to all genres including classic rock and Jazz which needs the characteristics listed above for the Ultra-linear mode.
The HA-3A does great with these genres, which the explanation above seems to indicate it might not. DEFINITELY NOT the case.

The other differentiator is the availability of NOS tubes for both amps
For the HA-3A there are a LOT of NOS and modern 6V6 and 12AU7 tube alternatives which can "tune" the amp to do different things and sound different
Tube rolling on the HA-3A is great and to me fun, and there are tube alternatives in just about every price range.

The HA-2A out of the box does use a great tube manufacturer (Amperex) who's sound I do like and own many Amperex tubes for my HA-3A
The Orange "world globe" logo Amperex tubes are true NOS tubes and are sought by some tube rollers, so the stock tubes will be good "as-is" (IMO)
And there are some alternate NOS tubes from GE, RCA and Sylvania I've found online and they are VERY inexpensive (all under $20 each, and some under $6) when compared to even the relatively lower cost tubes the HA-3A uses (Which range from $35 to as high as $500 per tube. Tubes for other amps like 300B tubes are REALLY expensive with the Holy Grail 300B tubes going for $9K+ a pair!)

I was impressed enough that I've been considering getting a HA-2A for my brother-in-law as a significant life stage present (he is about to hit one) as he is getting back into Audio but did not want to have to dedicate a lot of funds towards the hobby, but likes my HA-3A's sound.

The great thing about the Cayin Amp Line up is the lowest cost amp is not a "Penalty Box" it is just a different sound than its other siblings
for the HA Series, its Ultralinear (HA-2A), Triode (HA-3A) Both (HA-6A)
The other amps from Cayin offer power/tube combos to drive external speakers or do other things, and are different than the HA series mentioned above which is dedicated to headphones. ( The one outlier being the HA-300Mk2 which while listed as a headphone amp does have speaker connections)
This is the info I've found from doing the research
But what I wrote above is NOT "official" Cayin words, so I'll have to say its IMO, and YMMV

Hope this info helps

Great investigation. It has been a great help to me. Thank you so much!

I listen to classic Rock music. I understand that the HA-2A could be better.

Best regards

May 12, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #116 of 129
I listen to classic Rock music. I understand that the HA-2A could be better.
Actually... I would have came to the opposite conclusion based on my preferences. HA-3A for rock and HA-2A for electronic based (edm, techno ect.) music.

My guess though is if someone generally prefers the sound of one amp that won't vary too much based on the type of music.

May 12, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #117 of 129
Looks amazing. Are you using the stock tubes? I wonder how much of an upgrade this would be over my Feliks Echo Mk2.
I am not sure. I guess that it was with the stock tubes as I tested it at the Munich High End show.
It should sound quite different from the Echo because the Cayin is transformer coupled amplifier. Also more versatile in headphone matching.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #118 of 129
Saw the 8-series stack right besides the HA-2A, so I guess you have dropped by our Munich high-end booth and have checked out new products as well. I hope you are impressed by the new products as well.

I assume there is a set of HA-3A somewhere in the booth, or it wasn't hooked up but in static display only? I agree with the other, a setup with iDAP-8 and iDAC-8 as source and have both HA-2A and HA-3A connected to the iDAC-8 will make it easier for customers to compare and decided between the two amplifiers.
The Cayin booth was really amazing. They had a lot of stuff to listen to and everything sounded great. Didn't shoot a lot photos but the sound was amazing. Especially the speaker set-up.
IMG_20240511_163130.jpg
IMG_20240511_162948.jpg
IMG_20240511_162736.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #119 of 129
I am not sure. I guess that it was with the stock tubes as I tested it at the Munich High End show.
It should sound quite different from the Echo because the Cayin is transformer coupled amplifier. Also more versatile in headphone matching.

Well I think I'm more interested in the 2A over the 3A cause it's physically smaller. I've seen a few 3A show up on Canuck Audio Mart recently though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back