Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 2, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #4,966 of 4,971
I have not listened to the Gumby, but I can speak to nice neat stacks😜. That’s a tough one, because those that have moved on from the Bifrost 2 have picked up Gumby’s or Yiggy’s (yeah, I’m not going to try and spell those names). To me it seems like a decision between a neat and tidy stack and $400 vs a slight bump up in sound quality and either a lot of desk real estate or a stack that isn’t a stack.
Definitely a game of minor incremental sonic improvement for the investment being made.
And often system dependent / limited depending on how you want look at it. By that I mean it may be hard to discern the full impact of a particular piece of gear if the rest of the system isn't capable of allowing it to deliver everything it has to offer. I suppose you could equate this to how each component scales with the rest of the system it's being placed with.
For a desktop setup the Bifrost 2 (or 2/64) is hard to beat in cost, size, and its ability to scale with a variety of amplifier pairings.
While it may not be the pinnacle of Schiit Audio Mountain, it never fails to put a smile on my face and keep my toes tapping to the beat as I go about my day.

Jun 2, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #4,967 of 4,971
Just looking at your Sig and your comment. What differences do you notice between the BF2/64 and the Yiggy versions that you have
I don't have vocabulary to describe the differences. The +GS2 is beginning its' 'warm-up', the +MIB has been warming up nearly a month. The BF2/64 has been great in my system, but with the +MIB.....no going back.

Jun 2, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #4,968 of 4,971
I became curious so I reconnected my BF2 to my Schiit Midgard via RCA. My Gungnir Multibit is connected via XLR. I have both DACs being fed via USB from my Mac. I thought I would compare the two DACs. I have to select the DAC in the menu bar and switch between RCA and XLR on the Midgard. Perhaps not the most convenient way to do this. I have to increase the volume on the Midgard if I'm using the BF2. Guess the Gungnir has a higher output. But the Gungnir seems more lively or open by comparison to the BF2. I also do think I hear more detail with the Gungnir as well. I'm using the HD660S2 for the comparison.

Jun 2, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #4,969 of 4,971
Definitely a game of minor incremental sonic improvement for the investment being made.
And often system dependent / limited depending on how you want look at it. By that I mean it may be hard to discern the full impact of a particular piece of gear if the rest of the system isn't capable of allowing it to deliver everything it has to offer. I suppose you could equate this to how each component scales with the rest of the system it's being placed with.
For a desktop setup the Bifrost 2 (or 2/64) is hard to beat in cost, size, and its ability to scale with a variety of amplifier pairings.
While it may not be the pinnacle of Schiit Audio Mountain, it never fails to put a smile on my face and keep my toes tapping to the beat as I go about my day.
My journey from the Bifrost OG, to Bifrost 2/64 was definitely an incremental improvement. For me and my system, it was great, and I was quite content.

When the Yggy+ GS2's became available at a very reasonable price, I purchased one. After turning it on, it took a couple weeks to settle in. Sometimes during that time it got worse, other times it got better. But, the moment I turned it on the very first time, it was not an incremental improvement. Not at all. It was a significant positive, change. I was amazed at the differences, as I had been expecting incremental change. I didn't think a DAC could make such a substantial difference.

As always, your experiences may be totally different from mine. Enjoy the music!

Jun 3, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #4,970 of 4,971
My journey from the Bifrost OG, to Bifrost 2/64 was definitely an incremental improvement. For me and my system, it was great, and I was quite content.

When the Yggy+ GS2's became available at a very reasonable price, I purchased one. After turning it on, it took a couple weeks to settle in. Sometimes during that time it got worse, other times it got better. But, the moment I turned it on the very first time, it was not an incremental improvement. Not at all. It was a significant positive, change. I was amazed at the differences, as I had been expecting incremental change. I didn't think a DAC could make such a substantial difference.
I have a similar experience with BF2 OG to Gungnir. Using Lyr3/HD6XX, the improvement the Gungnir provided was obvious to my ears, not requiring any extensive listening but readily apparent on first listen.

In my experience, moving up to bigger Schiit gives clear improvements, while same size Schiit gives changes in flavor. Generally speaking. :beyersmile:

Jun 3, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #4,971 of 4,971
I have a similar experience with BF2 OG to Gungnir. Using Lyr3/HD6XX, the improvement the Gungnir provided was obvious to my ears, not requiring any extensive listening but readily apparent on first listen.

In my experience, moving up to bigger Schiit gives clear improvements, while same size Schiit gives changes in flavor. Generally speaking. :beyersmile:
Hadn't thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, YES. I agree for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back