Pads, Pads, and more Pads!
Oct 12, 2004 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

micr0c0sm

Head-Fier
I just bought Alessandro MS-2s. And they are wonderful. The amazingness of them can be seen in numerous other threads, so that will not be for this one. This thread is to inform me (and others) about pads. I have heard that todd's flats make the MS-1 even better, but they are around $40 and I dont want to drop that kind of cash while I am content. In other threads Senn pads were mentioned that fit the MS-1 (and therefore the MS-2s) and were around $4.

So my questions:
Do pads make a huge difference?
What would you recommend, and why? (please include the price shipped/ with tax etc)

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 12
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86168

should probably answer your question. I'm still on bowl pad on my Grado which i have for a while. This is because pads do not really bother me that much both comfortness and sound. It is just a little too cramp on my right ear, but that's about it.

Never fix anything when it's not broken... If it does not bother you, why spend the money ?? The $30 you save could help toward buying a new amp, cdp or even extra headphones, right? If it bothers you, then try it.

$30 definitely will not go waste, you can easily sell it back here (for a bit cheaper.) A lot of people around here seem to like trying different pads.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 12
At this point im just interested - i am not going to spend more than $10 on pads myself, but figured I should cover the whole spectrum for everyone who is interested. Beleive me I am more than happy with what I have, just curious is the sound manipulation that can be achieved with something so simple.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 12
i got to try the MS-2's with bowls and flats this past weekend, and i preferred the bowls. not only did i find the flats to be uncomfortable, i found them to muffle the high end. to me, the bowls offered sparkling high end, warm mids, and ample bass. it was a pretty big difference.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 12
The pads make a huge difference, it is amazing how much. If you don't believe what is written here on this site. Try this & it won't cost a thing. take your bowl pads and reverse them. That will get you half way between the "flats" & the "bowls" sound so you can get an idea of what the change is like.

- augustwest

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Also, people have mentioned a better soundstage with the bowls. If you feel a little discomfort, just think about how nice they'll feel once your ears have broken in
tongue.gif

Even the bowls should soften a little over the long run.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 12
I am going to try the reverse bowls now. Probably with some jamiroquoai and maybe stevie wonder. Bela Fleck, and flaming lips (oooh and circle takes the square).

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Wow! There is a definate difference by just reversing. So far it seems like reverse can be fun, or make it easier to listen to certain music for extended periods. It seems to make the instruments blend into the music, instead of the seperation I have noticed is very prevalent in the MS-2s. I have only listened to jamiroquoai, and so far it seems fine on my home system, but a bit too muddled for my portable system. I feel like I will need lots of more time to really appreciate the differences and better describe them. For now I am just swimming in musical bliss without much thought on analyzation.

Edit: I definately like the bowls much better with my portable system for jamiroquoai. I fear the day I will be changing entire setups for different types music. And to think it all starts so innocently, like just reversing pads!!!

btw thanks for the link on the 225s, and the personal experiences. It seems well worth the money when you are looking for a different sound or have some money lying around doing nothing lol.

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Flats and bowls are both very good. If you want intimacy, use flats. You'll practically BE the musician. If you want to sit back from the stage a bit, use bowls.

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm currently using modded ratshack pads and I think they sound better than the bowls. Wonder how the vwaps will sound when they get here...

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Strangely I didnt like the MS-2 with the flat pads...they sound nice with the bowls...things get too intense for my taste with the flat pads. I certainly didnt feel this way when I was using the SR-225...that one was a no-go without flat pads...

weird
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Surprisingly, 20 years have passed, but still the same, people are forced to look for replacements for their worn-out original pads because the lifespan of the headphones and pads are different. For some reason, manufacturers still do not consider it necessary to put spare pads in the box, with the exception of a few manufacturers (Shure for e.g.) Maybe manufacturers still think that if a client’s pads are worn out, he will run to them to buy new headphones ) Original pads very important thing, although they cost a penny in the price of the headphones, but without them there will be no original sound, and, most importantly, it’s difficult for them not to find a worthy replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back