Aune S17 pro
Jun 2, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2,371 of 2,375
+1 for Chord (in my case the Mojo 2). Perfect amount of detail and natural, non fatiguing sound - great sinergy. You do hear the difference of the recordings sound quality - there are probably better combinations if one mostly hear poorly recorded music (I tend to listen to all kind of recordings, though).
Adding onto this, I did manage to try the Holo Audio Cyan 2 R2R Ladder DAC amongst other R2R DACs. While it undoubtedly provided a nice warm signature, I did feel as though it sounded muddy and I couldn't separate the mids from the instruments. The Qutest was the only DAC I tried that day that completely blew me away with its resolution and balance in keeping the warm signature we love from the S17 Pro, without making the mids overly forwards and zero sibilance whatsoever in the treble.

Similarly though I listen to a bunch of different music of different recording qualities, so there are probably some genres of music that R2R DACs outperform FPGA DACs on - but not enough for me to care about!

Jun 2, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #2,373 of 2,375
Adding onto this, I did manage to try the Holo Audio Cyan 2 R2R Ladder DAC amongst other R2R DACs. While it undoubtedly provided a nice warm signature, I did feel as though it sounded muddy and I couldn't separate the mids from the instruments. The Qutest was the only DAC I tried that day that completely blew me away with its resolution and balance in keeping the warm signature we love from the S17 Pro, without making the mids overly forwards and zero sibilance whatsoever in the treble.

Similarly though I listen to a bunch of different music of different recording qualities, so there are probably some genres of music that R2R DACs outperform FPGA DACs on - but not enough for me to care about!
BF 2/64 + E3 here. After extensive A/B comparisons of S17 pro vs V222, I must say that some of the initial charm of the S17 pro has worn off and I am now favoring the V222 on most tracks. The clarity, separation, and layering is significantly better on the V222, looks like Ichos had the right take on the comparison. Nothing wrong with the S17 Pro, it has a weighty full presentation, sounds great with blues guitars and is forgiving with old 80's poorly recorded material. But, for my listening preference, I find the V222 gives me the details that stimulate my brain more.

Jun 3, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #2,374 of 2,375
It is a true sign of admiration for the S17 that anyone would even bother comparing it to another amp that costs twice as much, has no remote, limited functionality, and beauty that is surely only in the eye of the beholder. Thanks for taking the trouble.

Jun 3, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #2,375 of 2,375
BF 2/64 + E3 here. After extensive A/B comparisons of S17 pro vs V222, I must say that some of the initial charm of the S17 pro has worn off and I am now favoring the V222 on most tracks. The clarity, separation, and layering is significantly better on the V222, looks like Ichos had the right take on the comparison. Nothing wrong with the S17 Pro, it has a weighty full presentation, sounds great with blues guitars and is forgiving with old 80's poorly recorded material. But, for my listening preference, I find the V222 gives me the details that stimulate my brain more.
Funnily enough I’ve been eyeing the V550 PRO for my next amp purchase whenever that may be… good to hear the cheaper option is already an improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back