Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 4, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #12,301 of 12,398
This was transformer hum. The unit hummed whether it was connected to another device or not. Pulled the power cord, it stopped humming. No signal hum. I could detect hum through the open headphones during quiet passages, turn the volume up and mask the hum.
I had the same problem with mine - turns out it's insufficient shielding as I had my amp stacked on top of yggy - creating a larger air gap got rid of the humming. I still can hear some hum from the unit's transformers without any headphones on as I sit very close to it but it's not audible through my headphones anymore.

May 4, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #12,303 of 12,398
I still wanna try a Denafrips Ares II. Maybe I'll try and find one of those.
Aries is aight but not even better than Gungnir Multibt. Now Pontus II is a different matter and is smooth like a Less is More DAC. It's very good.
I havent heard the Venus II but that might even be better than a YGGY but it is like $3200.
That said if you can find a used Aries for $600 or 700 than that would be a pretty fine of a DAC for the money.
In fact there is one in the Classifieds.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #12,304 of 12,398
May 6, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #12,305 of 12,398
Schiit gear does tend to resell but i hear you. i always have a bit of anxiety about that but it's also not usually justified anxiety. For instance i almost didnt buy Yggy A2 bc that'd mean id have to sell Yggy A1 and she's heavy and all that. Sold it that same day lol; didnt last the day!

Last I checked Bifrost 2 was going for over $400 on Ebay but I admittedly don't know every detail about Bifrost.
And I, for one, a quite thankful it didn’t last a day (as it sits baking in ever more in its new home)…

May 6, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #12,306 of 12,398
Aries is aight but not even better than Gungnir Multibt. Now Pontus II is a different matter and is smooth like a Less is More DAC. It's very good.
I havent heard the Venus II but that might even be better than a YGGY but it is like $3200.
That said if you can find a used Aries for $600 or 700 than that would be a pretty fine of a DAC for the money.
In fact there is one in the Classifieds.
Love my Ares2 :) Moon Audio reviews says basically Venus II is the sweet spot.

May 6, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #12,307 of 12,398
And I, for one, a quite thankful it didn’t last a day (as it sits baking in ever more in its new home)…
And I am super happy she found a good home...

May 6, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #12,308 of 12,398
Love my Ares2 :) Moon Audio reviews says basically Venus II is the sweet spot.
I'd love to hear one someday but I doubt i'll ever part with Yggy OG>

May 6, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #12,309 of 12,398
Anybody switch from the beloved LIM to the MIB cards in their Yggy? If so, is it worth price? Whats the biggest difference? Any insight would be helpful.

May 7, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #12,310 of 12,398
My Loki Max had excessive hum when stacked so I now keep all my Kara, Loki Max, and GS2 on their own shelves.
That’s the thing that has really stopped me from seriously considering the Max- those big inductors don’t want to be next to any transformers and I don’t really have a good layout to not stack my gear.

No hum on the Folkvangr by the way.

IMG_0579.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #12,311 of 12,398
Welp, GS2 going in for a checkup. Guess all those bugs I was having are not, in fact, normal. Who woulda thought?

Hope this fixes it. Especially since this is the second GS2 I've had with the panel lockup bug. With my luck it'll happen again after paying 60 bucks to ship it back to CA from NJ.

Fingers crossed I get my unit back and it functions as it should for a near-2000 dollar DAC. With all the frustration this thing has put me through, it sure sounds good...

May 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #12,312 of 12,398
Welp, GS2 going in for a checkup. Guess all those bugs I was having are not, in fact, normal. Who woulda thought?

Hope this fixes it. Especially since this is the second GS2 I've had with the panel lockup bug. With my luck it'll happen again after paying 60 bucks to ship it back to CA from NJ.

Fingers crossed I get my unit back and it functions as it should for a near-2000 dollar DAC. With all the frustration this thing has put me through, it sure sounds good...
If the unit is faulty don't they cover shipping for the repairs?

May 7, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #12,313 of 12,398
If the unit is faulty don't they cover shipping for the repairs?
Schiit never pays for shipping back to them, in the case of returns or repairs. I just had to pay to ship my Mjolnir 3 to California for a repair under warranty. Shipping back to the buyer is paid for by them after the repair though. Just have to pay to get it to them to fix it.

May 7, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #12,314 of 12,398
Schiit never pays for shipping back to them, in the case of returns or repairs. I just had to pay to ship my Mjolnir 3 to California for a repair under warranty. Shipping back to the buyer is paid for by them after the repair though. Just have to pay to get it to them to fix it.
Gotcha. Would've thought that for warranty repairs both ways would be covered. But I guess one way is better than none.

Recently acquired a Yggy+ LIM so fingers crossed won't run into any issues. Upgraded from a Bifrost 2/64.

May 7, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #12,315 of 12,398
I have a Yggy A2, and I was thinking about adding a third headphone amp. I’m already using the balanced outs and one set of RCA outs. Is there any issue with actively using both RCA outs and the balanced outs all at once?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back