ZMF Caldera Closed
May 19, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #676 of 690
IMG_0356.jpg
Hanging out with the big boys this evening. I've been listening to the Caldera Closed a lot and comparing its qualities on these different tube amps. Tonight's magic is on the Envy!

This looks heavy. Is the table with the WA23 and Aegis custom?

May 19, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #677 of 690
Definitely would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the WA23 as well. My setup is fairly similar (or at least will be) - have a Envy with WE's and and have an Aegis on order.

I'm interested in grabbing a WA23 as I've demoed it a few times at Canjam/Audio shops briefly and enjoyed it. But in general have heard great things about it.

Are you using it as a pre at all or just as a seperate amp?
Nice! Just got WEs for the Envy a couple of weeks ago.

The WA23 is pretty amazing. I'll write more after I listen more, but to me, the Aegis and WA23 sound more similar tonally than the Envy and Aegis, even with the Envy having WEs. The WA23 is pretty incredible in the midrange and flagship level hi-fi sounding all at the same time. I've yet to hear anything that does both so well - normally there's a trade-off of one of those areas. The Aegis' midrange is closer to WA23 than Envy. Aegis has a special quality there that is unique though - the midrange is so present yet liquid (lush may be another word) and is focused even more there than the other two amps. It's there with all headphones I've tried, but I think that's part of why it's a perfect fit for Caldera Open and Caldera Closed. Caldera Open has been my favorite headphone since I got it and part of what I love about it is its midrange. Caldera Closed is sounding similar to me, but a little warmer there and in the treble in comparison to it. Either way, the Aegis adds that nice liquid quality to it that is just to die for. So engaging. And, it punches so well, too!

More listening...

Edit: @dude120 - haven't used as a pre other than when I had the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos. Didn't work as well as I had hoped. But could be fun to try with these amps for sure. I've been too busy giving the Caldera Closed a good listen, got a new DAC, tubes, source, etc. but will have to at some point.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #678 of 690
This looks heavy. Is the table with the WA23 and Aegis custom?
It is! Aegis especially. 55lbs or something like that?

The rack holding those amps isn't a custom thing - it's a Fitueyes Eiffel F07.

May 19, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #679 of 690
The WA23 is pretty incredible

My resistance to this will likely collapse at some point (unless something else comes up beforehand). Fortuatnely, I don't really have space for it and nothing that is a target for upgrade. One day perhaps.. I keep loving this amnp every time I try it..

May 19, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #680 of 690
My resistance to this will likely collapse at some point (unless something else comes up beforehand). Fortuatnely, I don't really have space for it and nothing that is a target for upgrade. One day perhaps.. I keep loving this amnp every time I try it..
That's where I'm at with Aegis - I really want it, but space doesn't really allow. But my mind keeps thinking of ways to make space....

May 19, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #681 of 690
One thing that I think hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed it) is that the wood options for Caldera Closed might have a similar impact as the Atrium Closed. What I'm hearing in my Ash demo unit reminds me of what I heard with my Walnut AC - a little airier, a little snappier, and higher frequencies stood out more versus my stabilized Maple pair. Of course, I don't have another CC in another wood to compare, but I find this worth noting.

Pad rolling has indeed made a big difference, but that same airy, snappy quality is there in different degrees. On the note of pads, I've been preferring the suedes. They've been my fave for a bit on the CO, so this could be a preference out of familiarity, but even still - they hit the spot!

May 19, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #682 of 690
That's where I'm at with Aegis - I really want it, but space doesn't really allow. But my mind keeps thinking of ways to make space....
If you put a metal box or cage over the Aegis it can double as a stool! Just don’t accidentally trip over it when you walk.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #683 of 690
It is! Aegis especially. 55lbs or something like that?

The rack holding those amps isn't a custom thing - it's a Fitueyes Eiffel F07.
Funnily enough my next audio-related purchase will be a new and larger/better cabinet for my setup.

Thankfully I’ve found a very well-regarded builder in the area who has fair prices and lovely items. I’m thinking something like the below, with the headamps and preamp in the middle/open section.

PSU, DAC, power conditioner, CD player, and storage behind closed doors.

The cherry wood will match my tower speakers and subwoofer reasonably well. Exciting!

IMG_3595.jpeg

May 19, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #684 of 690
my mind keeps thinking of ways to make space....

I've made those mental calculations endless times. The scary part is, I've always found a solution. That means, my rack is now 4 wide shelves high and another amp is on another cabinet. My mental maneuvers with my wife are deserving an Oscar nomination, at minimum :ksc75smile:

May 19, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #685 of 690
May 19, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #686 of 690
make sure you can control wtih remote if needed..
Excellent point. The vast majority or my listening is with my Bluesound Node 2 feeding my Gungnir MB DAC, so my control of playback is via WiFi, as the CDP is purely for backup and hardly ever sees use. 😉

The preamp needs line-of-sight IR remote control, hence I’ll keep it out in the open.

May 19, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #687 of 690
Excellent point. The vast majority or my listening is with my Bluesound Node 2 feeding my Gungnir MB DAC, so my control of playback is via WiFi, as the CDP is purely for backup and hardly ever sees use. 😉

The preamp needs line-of-sight IR remote control, hence I’ll keep it out in the open.

miss old tech RF remotes sometimes..

May 19, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #688 of 690
I've made those mental calculations endless times. The scary part is, I've always found a solution. That means, my rack is now 4 wide shelves high and another amp is on another cabinet. My mental maneuvers with my wife are deserving an Oscar nomination, at minimum :ksc75smile:
You're an inspiration, sir.

May 19, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #689 of 690
May 19, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #690 of 690
Funnily enough my next audio-related purchase will be a new and larger/better cabinet for my setup.

Thankfully I’ve found a very well-regarded builder in the area who has fair prices and lovely items. I’m thinking something like the below, with the headamps and preamp in the middle/open section.

PSU, DAC, power conditioner, CD player, and storage behind closed doors.

The cherry wood will match my tower speakers and subwoofer reasonably well. Exciting!

IMG_3595.jpeg
I think that'd look beautiful. Having something with doors gives the option for certain things to shine in a more minimalist way too, very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back